Having Problems Installing?
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

wncapt2007
General Member
No User Image
Antarctica

Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 at 6:23:54 AM | IP Logged

Maybe others have had their problems solved, but I'm still getting the 'TW Caddie 08 has encountered a problem and needs to close' message upon opening TW Caddie 08.exe even after reading most relating forum topics (as I will prove, I hope).

I have an ancient Dell 4500 and P4@1.8GHz 512RAM, 3 drives (C, which runs windows,and has 43GB free space and the 2nd an external drive,storage, has 140GB, and D, another internal currently 59GB free) running XP home 32b SP3 and .net framework 3.5(SP1). I have always used TW04 and the reliable 'course utilities' which has nearly all the custom courses from this site for 04' and are running fine. Just got an ATI FireGL X1 AGP 8X 128 (running on an underpowered 250W PSU soon to be updated to 500W) and finally TW2008 runs without the awful 'has encountered a problem and needs to close' message which was due to my previous factory GeForce 4 MX420 64 card. It even runs at max scenery for TW08 (surprised because the FireGL is still ancient but better than an MX420). So the next logical step is to download my favorite courses from 04, but no joy with XP and TW Caddie:

I am the admin. I first downloaded 420_twcaddie08v15.zip but accidentally opened twcaddie.msi first and attempted to install anyway (just didn't notice I opened the wrong file) until it couldn't find TWCAD.CAB, which made me realize my mistake. So I canceled and opened the setup.exe instead, installed successfully and then opened its corresponding TWcaddie 08 desktop shortcut, where the 'TW Caddie 08 has encountered a problem and needs to close' began. I figured my .msi mistake caused this, so I uninstalled then reinstalled a few times. No luck. But the caddie did successfully install.

Then I downloaded the 37343983.zip which was the autoinstall. It suggested I try version 1 of TWcaddie 08 first, so I downloaded and installed TWCaddie08_v1.zip, ran it and got the same error message. Uinstalled, then reinstalled version 1.5, since I knew the autoinstall I was going to try next needs TWcaddie08.exe for the files to associate (in fact, I guess I don't understand the point of autoinstall anyway). I over-wrote all files for TW Caddie 08 with those from the 37343983.zip. I had already downloaded and unzipped all 'Augusta 08 by Ken McHale' files to a folder I called 'AUG', which is in the courses folder already with the other stock courses of TW08. Upon looking in that folder, I could see their associated .tcl and .tcr file icons, purple and green respectively, but that only tells me that caddie is installed, not that it's working. When I open one of these files, i.e. Augusta.tcr, it gives me the same 'tw caddie 08 encountered a problem and needs to close' message. So uninstall again, even deleted the entire coursedownloads.com folder from program files with CTRL+delete so the remnants of the autoinstall in that folder were thus eradicated too.

Now I thought the TWCaddie.msi opening instead of the setup.ext mistake I made earlier wasn't solved by the uninstalls, so I used CCleaner to erase those associations in my registry (sure enough they showed up as errors in which CCleaner erased too, until no more registry errors appeared). Then I reinstalled v1.5 but still no dice.

I double checked the validity of my .net framework and also windows installer works fine, obviously. I'm not sure how many other programs need .net framework besides TWcaddie, but a long time ago I remember I had uninstalled the .net framework and consequently the program 'FreeVideoConverter' failed since it needed the .net framework in order to run, so i reinstalled it via windows upsate. However this was on my other PC. So that means FreeVideoConverter would be a good tester to rule out .net framework as the culprit for TWcaddie failures, but FreeVideoConverter works just fine when run on this computer! So can I safely say it's not my .net framework that's corrupted?

I have also installed TW08 on my other computer (Dell 3000) even though it won't play the game since its graphics card is from the stone age. It will run and I can get to 'play now' and it begins to load, but ultimately it quits before loading the course and does the 'TW08 has encountered a problem...' thing, and I know that's just the video card (an onboard one) wining for me to put it out of its misery. In spite of that, once TW08 installed, i WAS able to install TWCaddie 08 successfully. But it still failed to load and I got the same error message, and this was even on another computer.

What else is there for me to do? Installed v1.5 32bit(correct type), I have the .net framework 3.5 sp1, I have a real and valid TW2008 (licensed copy on CD, not torrent), I've installed/uninstalled many times, with the different versions (v1 and the autoinstall from 37343983.zip found from the forum topic TW Caddie 08 Support), cleaned registry between installs, tested the .net framework for corruption, tried installing caddie on another computer(which returns the same error). Yes it's actually the correct TW Caddie 08.exe and TW2008.exe that I run. But in spite of all this, surely it's my problem, not the program, since it seems just about everyone else has figured this out who had my problem (99% vista admin privileges?). I hope I have provided enough detail for analysis and troubleshooting. Thanks for your time whoever reads this!
-jj 

wncapt2007
General Member
No User Image
Antarctica

Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 12:16:45 AM | IP Logged

Finally figured it out. The .net framework had ALL versions on my computer(i think it was 4 or 5 in all), all made possible by stupid windows update, from 1 to 3.5. After an hour on google, I was able to uninstall them all finally with Aaron Stebner's weblog where a .net framework cleanup tool actually got rid of everything. Window's install cleanup: a joke. Add-remove programs: a large headache. Ccleaner: close but no cigar, it showed all versions of .net framework were removed but they still appeared in add-remove programs from control panel and in the registry. The only winner was the tool from Aaron Stebner's blog. I was still skeptical that it had worked, but finally when i re-installed caddie, it detected that i didn't have .net framework (yes!) and then downloaded and installed version 2.0 automatically (something new). Caddie installed and the program FINALLY ran for the first time. yay.

i was surprised i didn't get a response in 17 hours, where is everyone? guess i'm spoiled from quick responses in the past.

so to anyone still running stone age hardware/software like me, get rid of all .net frameworks and let caddie install the correct one, it worked for me. I guess the other 99% of you'll had vista admin errors, so this solution is for the 2 people left in the world running xp 32bit home SP3 on a intel pentium 4-1.8. At least I have a graphics card that will play more than just TW2004 finally. Even TW2005 would crash upon loading a course with my old card. I hope this was all worth it!
cheers  

Boze
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 1/1/1901 (123)

Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 12:36:34 AM | IP Logged

Ohh my, can you state what your problem is in more of a simple form? lol. 

Boze Signature

XBL: xXBoze66Xx

wncapt2007
General Member
No User Image
Antarctica

Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 2:59:46 AM | IP Logged

ha ha...yea, i know, right?
but just in case:

(short explanation: MY computer will run Caddie 08 ONLY when version 2.0 of the Microsoft .net framework is installed. - this may work for others) Slightly more explanation:

So i installed TW Caddie 08, which is, as far as i know, the only way to use these beautiful custom courses in Tiger Woods 2008 (made by these hardworking well respected folks around here).

when i attempted to open TW Caddie 08, i got an error message that said it was unable to open. So I couldn't even begin to use this nice tool to install custom courses i downloaded from here since the program itself was failing to open from the start.

I did a lot of troubleshooting hoping to find a way for TW Caddie 08 to start. In the end I found out that the software used to run it requires another program to already be installed on my computer, Microsoft .net framework 2.0. This is a fairly universal program for Windows computers, featuring software used by TW Caddie 08, like perhaps the software for the installer itself. So Caddie would fail to run if Microsoft .net framework isn't installed or working, but specifically version 2.0.

I do automatic updates manually from Microsoft's website. Unfortunately that caused the newer version 3.5 of the .net framework to be installed on top of all the older versions (which actually relies on all the other older versions to run). The problem is that TW Caddie 08 needs ONLY version 2 of the .net framework, but all the old versions on my computer caused Caddie to continually crash on start, so I knew I needed to get rid of them. But it is not straightforward how you uninstall any Microsoft .net framework program.

I finally found a tool, which was just an uninstalling program written by some random person posted in his blog, that got rid of all traces of the .net framework. I then launched the setup.exe from my TW Caddie 08 download. It noticed I didn't have any .net framework versions on my computer anymore so it automatically downloaded and installed the correct one for me, version 2.0. After the install finished I opened TW Caddie 08 and it worked!

From here on out it's too easy. Find the course you want on this site. Download every library and course file (each tcl and tcr downloaded in a zipped folder) listed under that course. I create a new folder inside the 'C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08\Courses' folder, e.g. one titled 'AUG' for Augusta. For each downloaded zip file (which I download to my desktop) I drag the contents (all the tcr, tcl, all files) into the AUG folder, which simultaneously unzips the files on my computer. Now I run Caddie 08 and install the tcl(library files) I downloaded for Augusta in the library section, and tcr(course file) in the courses section, in that order. Now run the game and enjoy.  

wncapt2007
General Member
No User Image
Antarctica

Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 6:30:00 PM | IP Logged

excuse me, i stand corrected on the installation with TW Caddie 08. I'm very impressed and never realized that when you create your own zip file for a course that Caddie installs it straight from this website. That took all of 30 seconds. Very cool. There goes any chance of me playing Tiger Woods 10 on the wii in the near future. Motion Plus does not make up for terrible graphics to me.

Thank you everyone for your hard work and putting up with all of us idiots our here! We appreciate the great courses and all the support to go with it...

Boze
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 1/1/1901 (123)

Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 8:56:25 PM | IP Logged

Glad to hear you got it all figured out! ; ) 

Boze Signature

XBL: xXBoze66Xx

Lupojohn
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 at 7:52:21 PM | IP Logged

TruBluMich, i'm having problems installing the courses and libraries. I have Windows Vista, and installed that version. When I tried to install courses and libraries, it won't let me, and when I installed the other version, it got to the green bar point, but never finished. What can I do about this 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (63)

Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 1:34:12 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 1:35:00 PM

hi...
You tried to install as administrator ?

This was posted in forum, by Trublumich :

The program needs to have permission from the first time you install it. UAC Creates registery entries for each individual user and denies access to the keys Tiger Woods 08 uses to read courses from.

Simply put here is how to fix every single issue that Vista users have encountered. MAKE SURE THE PROGRAM HAS ADMINISTRATION PRIVILEGES.

So how do you do that you ask?

Browse to the folder you installed TW Caddie 08 usally:
C://Program Files/CourseDownloads.com/TW Caddie 08

Locate the following file:
TW Caddie 08.exe

(;VISTA 64 BETA)
TW Caddie 08 Vista 64.exe

Right Click on that file and select Properties.

With properties Open select the tab labeled Compatibility

In the Compatibility screen you will see a option near the bottom that says:
Run This Program as Administrator

Check the box and click Apply and then OK. As the manual says you the program MUST BE RAN AS AN ADMINISTER. IN XP just being logged in as an Admin is enough. Vista on the other hand you have to tell it to run as an Administer.

This has fixed 99.9% of all reported problems with TW Caddie and Vista. 

Lupojohn
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 12:36:05 PM | IP Logged

That's great, except I don't get the tabs you are saying. Do I have to uninstall, and reinstall TW Caddie for this to occur? 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 2:44:02 PM | IP Logged

No need to uninstall and reinstall TWCaddie.
Maybe you can try to turn off UAC (user account control)in Vista.

Lupojohn
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 3:41:04 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Lupojohn on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 6:28:00 PM

I think I found what you were talking about, except that:

When I tried what you said, I still couldnt install anything.

Microsoft .NET Framework cannot be installed in my computer, so it will have to run without it.

I tried reinstalling and uninstalling, despite what you said, because it didnt work the first time.

I right-clicked after installing both versions listed to download(;separately, of course), and no Run As Administrator tab, except once, and I already documented that it didnt work.

Does it matter if I put the folder in the Pictures or Documents section of my computer?

My computer was recently fixed due to blue screen and automatic shutoff problems. Before this, I had been able to do this very easily, but now, I cannot do this.

Step-by-step instructions on which version to install, how to install it, where to install it, and how to install it without Microsoft .NET Framework would be appreciated. 

SilverGunn
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 9:43:07 PM | IP Logged

im having trouble installing tw08 because it says direct x is not installed on my system but i know it is . trublu i think you helped me with this a long time ago it seems i changed the value in the registry but i cant remember . anyone with help thanks 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 6:13:34 AM | IP Logged

Hi...
On link below you will find info about the workaround of DirectX:

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=6120  

SilverGunn
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 9:54:33 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower i did this now it takes me to the online register page during the install and i cant get it to do anything else 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 12:21:08 PM | IP Logged

hi Silver....

Easo (EAsports online) server is down for good now.
When you install TW08 you will have option to install game with or without the online components.
Choose to install the game without the online components. 

jpeukert
General Member
No User Image
Germany

Posted: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 4:37:05 PM | IP Logged

Hey there,

my problem is that caddy allways says " TW 08 is not installed on this computer" what ist wrong?

symstem win 7 basic german version

Thanks!!! 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 5:14:52 PM | IP Logged

Hi....

( right click TWCaddie.exe file and install as administrator....also turn off UAC, user account control in win7 )

Some more help below, it is for Vista, but about same for Win7:

The program needs to have permission from the first time you install it. UAC Creates registery entries for each individual user and denies access to the keys Tiger Woods 08 uses to read courses from.

Simply put here is how to fix every single issue that Vista users have encountered. MAKE SURE THE PROGRAM HAS ADMINISTRATION PRIVILEGES.

So how do you do that you ask?

Browse to the folder you installed TW Caddie 08 usally:
C://Program Files/CourseDownloads.com/TW Caddie 08

Locate the following file:
TW Caddie 08.exe

(VISTA 64 BETA)
TW Caddie 08 Vista 64.exe

Right Click on that file and select Properties.

With properties Open select the tab labeled Compatibility

In the Compatibility screen you will see a option near the bottom that says:
Run This Program as Administrator

Check the box and click Apply and then OK. As the manual says you the program MUST BE RAN AS AN ADMINISTER. IN XP just being logged in as an Admin is enough. Vista on the other hand you have to tell it to run as an Administer.

This has fixed 99.9% of all reported problems with TW Caddie and Vista or win7.

rkfaoro
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 9/24/1942 (81)

Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 11:13:20 AM | IP Logged

yes when install with caddie 08(64) 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 11:17:08 AM | IP Logged

Hiya rkfarao, are you on win7 or win8 or vista ? 

rkfaoro
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 9/24/1942 (81)

Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 11:22:10 AM | IP Logged

win 7 I have not had problems downloading 250 prior courses 

Page of 4
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 2 active members online
ApophisAscended, goofygolf,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Having Problems Installing? - Page 3 Loaded in 0.703 seconds
Friday, May 3, 2024 @ 5:15:10 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.