Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

RWMOREY71
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 8:28:47 PM | IP Logged

Hi --

I just purchased Tiger Woods 2008 for my PC and I would love to play around with the course architect. However, I just learned that while it is a free download from EA the Course Architect will not install on my system w/o Tiger Woods 2006! Has anyone found a work around for this? I was able to extract the setup files so that I can try to run the Course Architect but I get an error saying it could not find the course libraries. Does anyone know of a configuration file and/or the directory structure for the Course Architect that may be able to help me get this up and running?

Thanks

Rich

ronbrug
General Member
No User Image
Netherlands

B-Day: 12/27/1966 (57)

Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 9:05:09 PM | IP Logged

Not that i know off.

You still need tiger woods 06. 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (36)

Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 10:38:51 PM | IP Logged

$3.00 on Amazon 

RWMOREY71
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 at 7:59:25 PM | IP Logged

SUCCESS!!

I got a registry file for TW 2006 and by changing the directories referenced in the REG file to my install of TW 2008 and then importing the registry file I got the Architect to install!

It ran and I got an error about missing TPC but after I hit CANCEL on the error message the course editor loads. I will look for TPC online somewhere but I think even without it I can set up my course libraries to use the 2008 courses and be good to go!

SOOO Anyone else who wants to do this drop me a line and I'll e-mail you the REG file!

Rich

TruBluMich
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 9/11/1978 (45)

Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:01:09 PM | IP Logged

edited by: TruBluMich on Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:03:00 PM

Rich,
Zip up the registery file and write a quick tutorial on how to do it, and attach it using the forum attachment option. 

TruBluMich Signature

Thank you for visiting CourseDownloads.com

RWMOREY71
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 at 10:37:39 PM | IP Logged

TUTORIAL:

Here is how I was able to install Course Architect on my machine running Tiger Woods 2008.

1) Download the attached ZIP file which contains a file called COURSEARCHITECT.REG. This is a file to create/merge registry entries into your install of Windows.

2) Modify the REG file so the references to your installation of Tiger Woods are correct. Currently the file has "C:\\Program Files\\EA SPORTS\\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\\" so you will need to replace that value with the correct value for your machine.

3) Merge the REG file into the registry.

4) Install Course Architect.

I did get an error when I ran the Course Architect regarding the missing TPC files. I am still searching for those files somewhere I can legally obtain them. I will update this posting with information on where those files are if I find them. However, even without the TPC files the Course Architect runs.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: I have a machine running Windows XP w/Service Pack 3 and Tiger Woods 2008 installed. I have not tested this with any other configuration of the OS or the version of TW. If you try it on some variation and have success please let others know!

Rich

JSJarvis
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 8:42:02 AM | IP Logged

edited by: JSJarvis on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 9:59:00 AM

My apologies to Zee and Jimi for removing your previous posts from this thread. I saw the mention of no-cd patches and automatically removed the posts without fully comprehending what was being discussed.

There has been some discussion about this issue over on the EA boards as well as to whether this constitutes tampering with what was intended for the CA. This is a very fine line to walk. The CA was designed for use with TW2006 installed. TW2006 can still be found at bargain prices on the internet and in some stores. That will continue to be what I advise people to do that want to design for TW08. Using a registry fix like this that hasnt been fully tested can result in problems that I personally do not want to have to try to troubleshoot. Any users that want to go this route need to know they are doing so at their own risk.

To borrow a phrase from over at the EA boards, this does border on tinkering with the program. But to me it doesnt seem to fall in the same area as a no-cd patch. Those are created and used to circumvent copy protection and anti-piracy code put into the game by EA. They are used by some to essentially steal the game. The 06 CA was a free download that any user could download. I would have to take a look at the EULA on the CA more closely to see if using a reg file like this would constitute a violation of the terms of that EULA. 

Johnson66
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 at 2:44:38 PM | IP Logged

RWMOREY71,

Thanks for this tip. I had purchased TW 2008 and was sorely disappointed that EA didn't include the Course Architect or Course Utilities programs. At least with your tip and the resources of CouseDownloads.com I can pursue making my own custom courses.

It's a shame EA has abandon the PC gamer crowd, as their newest release of TW PGA Tour 10 doesn't appear to have PC support either, just the console versions for the kiddie crowd.

Thanks,

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 at 3:05:16 PM | IP Logged

may want to update your reading a little

there will be a 2010 PC version

Menu: Tiger Woods Forum : General
Looks Like No TW10 for PC
http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=6913&forum=11

and there's additional information on the EA Forum 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

MrZoolook
General Member
No User Image
England

B-Day: 7/26/1976 (47)

Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 12:49:05 PM | IP Logged

JSJarvis said:
"There has been some discussion about this issue over on the EA boards as well as to whether this constitutes tampering with what was intended for the CA. This is a very fine line to walk. The CA was designed for use with TW2006 installed."

Not that I WANT to cause any arguments, but... Strictly speaking, surely any courses designed using the CA should also ONLY be used with TW-06 anyway. If EA "INTENDED" the courses to be used with TW-07 upwards, they would not have required SPECIFICALLY 06 to be installed! Or am I missing something?

JsJarvis said:
"To borrow a phrase from over at the EA boards, this does border on tinkering with the program."

I totally fail to see how this could be seen as "tinkering with the program." The only tinkering being done is on the users computer, and at no point is the CA interfered with!

JsJarvis said:
"But to me it doesnt seem to fall in the same area as a no-cd patch. Those are created and used to circumvent copy protection and anti-piracy code put into the game by EA. They are used by some to essentially steal the game. The 06 CA was a free download that any user could download."

I agree with everything you say here, and add a further thought... Does requiring the installation of 06 actually ENCOURAGE piracy? Since purchasers of 07/08 MAY be more inclined to use pirate versions of 06 rather then pay for a retail version they wont use.

JsJarvis said:
"I would have to take a look at the EULA on the CA more closely to see if using a reg file like this would constitute a violation of the terms of that EULA."

The irony here is that without 06 being installed, no-one installing the CA will get to read the EULA, since it bombs out before the install displays it... I guess anyone wanting to use the CA without 06 (and is thus far unaware of threads such as this) could check an online EULA for the CA... but it does seem a rather backwards way to read it! 

BladeRunnerZ
General Member
No User Image
South Africa

B-Day: 9/18/1964 (59)

Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 3:54:10 PM | IP Logged

edited by: BladeRunnerZA on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 3:55:00 PM

FOR ADVANCED USERS WHO KNOW HOW TO EDIT AND NAVIGATE THE REGISTRY:

This is what i did to get it to work with no problems at all.

Step 1.
Open the registry with regedit.

Step 2.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08

Step 3.
Select the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08 key, right click and export as a backup reg file.
(;Give the file any name you want eg. TW08.reg)

Step 4.
Rename the existing key from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08
to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06

Step 5.
Then re-import the TW08 reg entries back into the registry by double
clicking on the exported reg file from step 3.

Step 6.
There are now two entries in the registry. One for TW08 and one for TW06, although the 06
one is just a clone of 08, the course architect will now install and function normally. 

BladeRunnerZ Signature

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle

Fiideell
General Member
No User Image
Czech Republic

Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 at 3:20:06 PM | IP Logged

Hello, I followed the tutorial but still cant run the CA :( 

rover
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 8:36:01 AM | IP Logged

I am not a computer guy so please for give my lack of knowledge. I have TW 06, 07, 08 on my computer and cannot get the architect to load and display for me can you help me with this Thanks for your time rover 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (63)

Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 10:53:19 AM | IP Logged

Hello Rover.
When you own and installed TW06 then it should be no problem to install the Course architect06.
So first install TW06 game.

After that on Coursedownloads go to section: Utilities.....Utilities and files for TW06.....Course design tools
Inside Course Design Tools you will find: TW06 course architect
Now download the zipfile ( TW06 course architect ) to your PC.
After that on your PC you have to extract or unzip the downloaded zipfile.
When extracted or unzipped you will find a file: Course architect 06.exe
Dubble click this file ( Course architect 06.exe ) and Course architect should start to install on your PC.
When it is installed you should find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Course Architect 06\Bin
Inside the Bin folder you will find the start icon for Course architect 06 

There are 2 active members online
Gerrylove1, raylloyd7,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Course Architect w/TW 2008 (w/o 2006!) - Page 1 Loaded in 0.219 seconds
Tuesday, May 14, 2024 @ 10:37:36 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.