CourseDownloads.com Logo
Welcome Guest - Login | Register
 Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Vista & Vritual Machine Tips now in Utilities - Page 1

Menu:  Tiger Woods Forum : The Course Source
Vista & Vritual Machine Tips now in Utilities
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 3:19:22 PM | IP Logged

edited by: nuttywoody on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 8:22:00 PM update link

Look under Utilities->Utilities and Files for Tiger Woods 2008->New Files

Heres the intro:

The issue is that courses compiled in CA06 running under Vista or Vista 64 will not load into the TW games. In order to work around this without having a second machine running XP or Win 98 you can install Microsoft (;or other) Virtual Machine software on your Vista computer.

This differs from a dual operating system in that the Virtual Machine runs on top of Vista, rather than choosing to boot the computer to one operating system or the other at startup.

OK, Im by no means an expert, just a user who has muddled through and is volunteering my experience. Feel free to correct or offer alternative information at will. If you are new to course design, you should not be intimidated by the Vista issue. I have only a moderate understanding of computers, and I was able to handle this as easily as any other aspect of course design.

These instructions assume the user has a reasonable understanding of downloading and installing software, Windows OS installation, and use of windows Help. Heres the direct link and an attached file:

http://www.coursedownloads.com/extras/details.asp?id=499 

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 8:17:29 PM | IP Logged

edited by: nuttywoody on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 8:23:00 PM sp

A few things I have found, and I will soon add to a revision of the VM tips:

1. You must save your working .tca files to your VM desktop or another location within the VM environment. DO NOT attempt to save files to the designated shared folders on your main OS. Clicking the save button does nothing to the file! It does not save the changes you have made! Only using a Save As command with a NEW file name will save your changes to the main OS shared folder. This is not practical due to the necessity of incremental saves recommended to compensate for instability of CA06 and other contingencies involved in course design.

2. Once you are ready to test a compiled file, open your local VM folder and your shared folder while working in the VM environment. Copy the .tcr file to your shared folder. Then return to your main OS to prepare the zip file for installation as normal. Alternately, create the zip file under VM and copy to the shared main OS folder for installation.

3. Be prepared for, and patient with software errors while using CA06 under a VM. I have done two un-install / reinstalls in 10 holes so far. Once for crashes while attempting to compile;; once for crashes while right-clicking objects and trying to edit properties. Fortunately the un-install / reinstall only takes about three minutes and solves the problems.

4. I do recommend running CA06 in VM only. The back-and-forth of the mixed Vista/VM is an unecessary and non-value-added encumberance, imho.

If anyone has had different experiences or results, please do post here for future reference.

Things are moving along pretty well. So far I have completed (;and since abandoned) a 9-hole test course just for learning purposes. I got all the land forms, textures, and plantings working nicely, but had serious trouble compiling with structures included.

My current project is up to 10 holes and is going well, thanks to all that I have learned here at coursedownloads.com. 

TruBluMich
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 9/11/1978 (45)

Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 1:33:28 PM | IP Logged

The crashes are due to Swap Files.

Close the CA Go to the the folder you installed your CA into usually ProgramFiles/EA Sports/Course Architect/Swap Files.... I THINK not looking just from memory and delete all the files in there, restart CA and this will fix the crashes. 

TruBluMich Signature

Thank you for visiting CourseDownloads.com

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 11:15:58 AM | IP Logged

Not to fish or anything.. but I see that there have been 94 downloads of the Virtual Machine tutorial, and I have not seen any feedback at all. I'd love to know if it is working for people. I take the no feedback to mean that either people read it and give up without trying, or that it works pretty well...(?)

Any comments?  

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:45:35 AM | IP Logged

Hi everyone. Long time no design. Does anyone know what happened to my old Vista Virtual Machine tutorial? I have it backed up on a CD some where, but I was hoping to find it more quickly here. (My man cave is kind of a mess.) 

JSJarvis
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:51:07 AM | IP Logged

Hey bud! We probably lost it in the hard drive crash that we had last year. If it isn't in the Utilities area it was most likely lost. If you find it again, feel free to reupload it and we will get it approved and back on the site. 

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 11:07:14 AM | IP Logged

That's cool. I was digging through by CD backups within the last month so it's withing reach here. Problem is, there are hundreds of things within reach. What a mess! 

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 11:04:13 AM | IP Logged

I found a backup with several of my old tuts on it, including the VM tut and a Library Management tut. I want to look a bit more to make sure these are the most current versions and convert a couple things to PDF before submitting them again. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (63)

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 11:59:47 AM | IP Logged

Excellent, good news :)

There are 1 active members online
Billlovesgolf,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Vista & Vritual Machine Tips now in Utilities - Page 1 Loaded in 0.234 seconds
Saturday, May 18, 2024 @ 11:55:21 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.