How to speed up TW 08?
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

thuringen
General Member
No User Image
Australia

Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 at 7:35:18 AM | IP Logged

Any suggestions on how to speed up TW 08.
My frame rates are fine but after each shot and at the end of each hole the game pauses for 10-15 seconds and the scorecard stays on the screen for way to long.It happens with both stock and add-on courses.
My computer hardware is up to date so it is unlikely to be the cause.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it takes far to long to play a round at the moment.
Thanks, Simon. 

JSJarvis
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 at 9:09:06 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:52:00 AM

It sounds like you are experiencing one of the common bugs in TW08. There is a fix called the Confidence Folder fix.

When you played some courses you will see the loading times between holes are increasing, the game will become slower and slower.
Do next steps to solve the problem:

1) On desktop you will see the folder My Documents. Open this folder.
( when you are using Vista or Win7 or win8: on desktop look for folder: User (or username).....inside you will find: Documents )
2) Inside look for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008. Open this folder and then open the folder Career
3) Inside Career open the folder Players. Inside this folder, look for your playersname folder and open it.
4) Open the folder Confidence.
5) Inside you will find these files: Hole Type.tcn and Shot Type.tcn. delete both files.
6) Important step here! Restart the TW08 game and play 1 hole on any stock course, then close TW08 game.
7) Go back to same Confidence folder and you will see both files are regenerated: but now they are very small in size. Now right click the Hole Type.tcn file and choose Properties. Check the box next to Read Only and click OK.
Now do the same thing for the Shot Type.tcn file. 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 6:17:20 AM | IP Logged

Jeff, thanks for the tip, worked great! Question: Whats the reason for clicking the Read Only box? 

eagls628
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:56:09 PM | IP Logged

bangus said:
"Jeff, thanks for the tip, worked great! Question: Whats the reason for clicking the Read Only box?"

That way the shot confidence info. will only be read by your system and not written to a file which was the reason for the long pause between shots. 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Monday, July 7, 2008 at 7:41:02 AM | IP Logged

eagls628 said:
"That way the shot confidence info. will only be read by your system and not written to a file which was the reason for the long pause between shots."

Thanks eagls, thats good to know. 

woody4077
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 6/10/1979 (44)

Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 2:46:13 PM | IP Logged

theres a way to do this without deleting the files just make them read-only
it seems to be working fairly right now 

petrap417
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 7:51:00 AM | IP Logged

The HoleType.tcn file is the one that increases over time, you do not need to delete the ShotType.tcn file at any time it stays at 1kb all the time, after deleteing the HoleType.tcn file...go into any custom game...let the game load...when you are ready to tee off...exit the game...go to my documents...where you were when you deleted the HoleType.tcn...it should now read at 1kb make both files read only...click apply and ok to make it permanet...rember if you happen to have to reinstall the game be sure to do this again other wise you gonna find the same problem.  

JSJarvis
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 8:31:38 AM | IP Logged

Funny thing...I'm pretty sure that the directions that I provided in the 2nd post of this thread explain exactly what you wrote. Not sure why it needed to be clarified. 

petrap417
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 9:29:07 AM | IP Logged

not exlactly, you said to play one hole...this you do not have to do...didnt mean to step on any toes...just wanted to help...both ways work...the way i do it HoleType.tcn will be @ 1kb not 4kb the way you do it...like i said just trying to help...i went so far as to do all the players in the game set to 1kb you can do this depending on how many custom players you have in my case only one...setting a shootout game you can do 7 players at a time...had some time on my hands lol. 

EJPutz
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 7:54:39 PM | IP Logged

edited by: EJPutz on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 12:45:00 AM I spoke too soon.

It is not necessary to go back into the game to recreate the HoleType.tcn file. You can simply make an empty text file and re-name it HoleType.tcn, set it to read-only, and the fix will work. Just as long as there is a HoleType.tcn file in your profile folder, the game will not try to make a new one. And the smaller the file, the better the game runs;; and you dont get any smaller than 0 bytes. Try it, if you dont believe me.

*NOTE.. If you play ANY of the built-in characters in human mode, you will want to make their HoleType.tcn file read-only also, as this file grows with each hole played (;hence the slowdown).

EDIT: I found out the hard way that if you write-protect this file that none of your tournaments work, and the game considers you an absolute beginner, no matter how long youve been playing. So, I guess if you want to play in the tourneys, youre pretty much stuck using it. 

overigennem
General Member
No User Image
Denmark

Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:40:41 PM | IP Logged

I've tried delete those 2 files, but they wont regenerate again. The files are gone!!
I deleted both files, opened up TW08 and played 1 hole. Shut dawn and
the files are now gone.

What can i do ? 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:56:52 PM | IP Logged

Hi...it is not a problem when both files are gone, you don t need the files. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 at 3:04:09 PM | IP Logged

But when you want both files you can download them in attachement below ( they are already read only ), just put both files that are in the zipfile, in your confidence folder of your playersname folder. 

File Attachment
Zip File - zip File - Click Here to Download File - 353 bytes

sjm
General Member
No User Image
Australia

Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 3:46:20 AM | IP Logged

thanks for tip

i deleted these files, but the hole type.tcn is 35k again, shoould it be this big 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 4:53:44 AM | IP Logged

No they shouldn t be that big, they should be 1K, think you didn t set the files as read only.

When you don t know how to set to read only, do next steps:
Download the zipfile i attached 2 posts above, they are already set to Read only.
And replace the 2 files in your confidence folder, with the ones from the downloaded zipfile. 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 12:20:56 PM | IP Logged

Confidence file size that small not important, anything in the general range of 1kb to 100kb will work fine

the important step is setting the file properties to Read Only as described above 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

stephenmisso
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 10:21:33 AM | IP Logged

edited by: stephenmisson on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 10:22:00 AM typo

This post is getting a bit old now but I am hoping there are still people out there that use the TW PGA Tour 08.
I have just reinstalled the game and am trying to fix the slow speed as I did before by following these instructions.
The problem is, strangely, my name doesn''t appear with a folder. My name is listed as a .plr file which I cannot open.
Any help please? 

stephenmisso
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:03:10 AM | IP Logged

I have just created another player and that does not appear either. Strange. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:09:35 AM | IP Logged

Hiya Stephen,

I think you are looking in the wrong location.
You have to go to: Documents
1) On desktop you will see the folder My Documents. Open this folder.
( when you are using Vista or Win7 or win8: on desktop look for folder: User (or username).....inside you will find: Documents ) 

stephenmisso
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:22:02 AM | IP Logged

Very many thanks for your speedy reply. To be honest, I didn't think I would get a reply to this old thread!
Despite being a PC user since 1984, you have taught me something today for which I thank you. I have been working on this fix for several hours.
Thanks again. 

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 0 active members online

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - How to speed up TW 08? - Page 1 Loaded in 0.344 seconds
Saturday, April 20, 2024 @ 3:00:39 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.