Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (35)

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 4:18:00 PM | IP Logged

What is the best stretch of 4-5 golf holes in the world?

I'll throw out one contender:

3-7 at Olympic Club 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 10/30/1976 (47)

Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 1:40:23 PM | IP Logged

I don't even know holes 3-7 at Olympic but you just gave me an idea for a new Hyno Designs video.  

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 8:55:41 PM | IP Logged

Obvious contenders would be 10-13 or any stretch of the second nine at Augusta and 6-10 at Pebble Beach. I was wondering if anyone else could think of some good ones. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:32:20 AM | IP Logged

I don't really have an opinion on this topic cause I don't know. As a kid I loved 13,14,15 and 16 at Augusta but the drama with the modern game has kind of changed the way those holes play. I liked when you could have 3 shot swings on a hole, that is fun. The 18th hole at Carnoustie with Jean Van de Velde is still the greatest event I have seen in golf, nothing compares to that. The equipment and golf ball changed the game. When I was younger I had a hard time driving the ball later in my career I didn't miss many fairways.

Now the guys hit the ball 340 yards and the driver technology keeps the ball on the planet. You used to have to be a great ball striker with the irons and hit the ball flush, now it is just the club does the work and fixes the misses. The players have gotten better but the skill level has decreased. Tiger Woods had all the skills from short game to recovery to amazing putting and everything else. The great holes in golf have changed with the game.

That leads in to my newest video, back with wooden drivers, blade irons and balata golf balls.

Seve at Olympic

Holein1
General Member
No User Image
France

Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 8:36:20 AM | IP Logged

Hi Bobby,

Just finished playing at the Olympic Club and was wondering where the course is located : is it in San Francisco as the clubhouse seems to suggest ? Not that I know the place but I did not see any mention in your course description.

As far as what is the best stretch of difficult holes, I will get back to you later because I remember playing the last few days a couple of courses where I might have some "contenders" for you.

In the meantime, thanks again for all your beautiful courses... even though you don't "like" to plant too many flowers (LOL)... !  

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:31:27 PM | IP Logged

Yes, it's in San Francisco, right next to Harding Park, where this year's PGA is going on right now. You can see some of Olympic's holes across Lake Merced on the telecast. The PGA and Ryder Cup are both scheduled to be at Olympic in the next decade I believe. 

Holein1
General Member
No User Image
France

Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:59:50 PM | IP Logged

Hi again Bobby,

Thanks for the information !

I just finished playing & reviewing the Golden Horseshoe - Gold course V2 and it's a masterpiece (even playing with TW07 - even though I am sure it might look even better with TW08).

I just thought I might ask you to take a look at the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th holes : they are, in their own ways, spectacular (I can't believe there are real...), and I am curious to read if you agree... or not !

Thanks again !

Cheers.

P.S. I will keep my eyes on other stretches and will let you know. 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 7:15:59 PM | IP Logged

Next on my list: 15-18 at TPC Sawgrass. I'm hoping to do breakdowns of all of these one day. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 2:06:29 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 2:15:00 AM

CBS as a network was making such a big deal yesterday how Harding Park is a local Municipal golf course and how everyone has access to play it and how the course being so open to all is just an amazing way to grow the game giving people from diverse back rounds an opportunity to play golf when they would normally not have access to the game. I called BS. Ian Baker Finch talking how he grew up on a muni and it was 10 cents to play and was built by the local farmers.

I looked up the rates for Harding Park, $180 weekday and over $200 on the weekend. I am not rich, to play 4 rounds at Harding Park in a week is over $700, hardly affordable to underprivileged children. I grew up playing at a country club, yes we had junior restrictions but the rate for the year was $175 up to age 22. My college Golf course which was pretty nice was $150 for the semester.

They made such a big deal over Bethpage being the peoples course. I played in an AJGA event as a kid, you had people sleeping in cars trying to get a tee time. I played 4 rounds and the cost was just the entry fee.

At that time the driving range was hitting off of mats in to cages. The rates in 2020 is $130 to play during the week and $150 on the weekend. I guess to play a US Open course and PGA course that is kind of cheap. You know the two times I played Merion it was free because it was a tournament, but I had to pay the caddie $100. Than the one time stayed around after and ate free popcorn in the Bobby Jones room.

Whistling Straits green fees start at $410
Kiawah island ocean course rates around $383
Pinehurst #2 around $389

When I was a kid a brand new set of Ping Eye Twos was $400.

In closing if you look at my course list, uploaded a course called Charleston Springs, the twilight rate which is after 12 or 1 is like $53 with a cart, now that is affordable golf for a really nice course.

My fav golf holes are 3,4,5,6 and 7 at Charleston Springs because they are fun and it is cheap. I am just kidding. 16, 17 and 18 at Merion are pretty hard golf holes it was like 250 to 260 yards just to get over the quarry on 18. I think Merion is better than Pine Valley and I played them both.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 2:34:08 AM | IP Logged

I played TPC at Sawgrass and the Valley course as well than the original Sawgrass across the street than played a public course in Jacksonville called Winsor Park and than a tournament at Marsh Landing which is next to Sawgrass as well. Marsh Landing to me was pretty hard it didn't fit my eye. 16 at Sawgrass is not very hard and 17 is a wedge or 9 iron and the green is bigger than you think. 18 didn't set up well for me. I would say 8, 10, 14, 15 and 18 were the hardest holes for me. 12 was the easiest hole on the course.  

There are 1 active members online
Gunpower61,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Best stretch of golf holes - Page 1 Loaded in 0.250 seconds
Tuesday, April 16, 2024 @ 12:10:35 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.