Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

DaveL
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 2:40:28 PM | IP Logged

Hi everyone,

First, I am using TW08 with the CA06. I know this topic has been discussed at length, but most (all but one) of my ponds on my new course are not reflecting. I have tried everything mentioned here, changing texture, optimizing, smoothing, raising/lowering banks, using ocean textures, all with no success.

Water reflects on all other courses I have downloaded, so I don't believe it is my computer causing the issue (although maybe, since I do have Windows 10, and am able to compile with no trees). Maybe it is an issue during the compile (I have no trees so far)?

So - would someone be able to try and compile and see if the water reflects for them? Also, if not, and you are up for a challenge, maybe some of your remedies may help?

I would usually just change to a waste bunker or whatever, but one of the particular lakes sits between two holes and I believe really adds visual and strategic quality to the course (of course, the best hole on the course IMO and the water doesn't reflect at all). There is also a creek that doesn't reflect but I am okay with that.

Thanks!

Quietly
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 12/12/1800 (223)

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 2:49:25 PM | IP Logged

water can be a pain. I'm not sure if this was included in your list but have you tried flattening the pond.

Right click on the pond texture, use as shape, increase shape size by 3 to 6 inches, then flatten to lowest elevation. 

DaveL
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 3:31:52 PM | IP Logged

Yes, I forgot to mention the pond is completely flat. The stream is not, but I made sure I flattened the pond. Funny thing is, the one pond that is reflecting is not completely flat. So who knows!  

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (35)

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 7:43:55 PM | IP Logged

I've been designing for this game since 2007 and am currently fighting with a small pond. Same problem and I am trying all the same things you are. My advice: keep messing with it until it works. I know that's frustrating. But eventually it'll happen. I had a pond on Whistling Straits that didn't reflect for 10 years and I finally got it to work recently. 

DaveL
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 10:01:59 PM | IP Logged

Definitely frustrating Bobby. I think I spent more time trying to get reflections than designing. Crazy! 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:13:53 AM | IP Logged

I had two thoughts last night. It seems like the non reflecting pond always seems to be the bottom most pond on the tca in my limited times seeing it. Secondly, what if we created another water shape inside the main shape. I will try both today. 

Quietly
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 9:48:35 AM | IP Logged

I was having intermittant reflective issues with the pond textures on punaluu bay and It would happen sometimes when I hadn't done anything around the pond. But I was always battling a very high point count (300k). It's possible that in the same way the plot starts going invisible at the outer reaches with high point count that maybe the water only renders so far on the plot as well...

But like I mentioned before, I usually just flattened an extra couple inches beyond the pond edge and that often fixed it.

Way back on the desert wraith course, there was to be a pond behind 18 to reflect the clubhouse but I had to give up and make it a waste bunker cuz I tried for days and couldn[t get it to reflect.

On the desert hawk course I had a pond on 12 that didn't want to cooperate sometimes so I'd pick up the pond and an extra perimeter texture around it, move them a few inches or enlarge them, drop them back down and re-flatten the water. That worked. Desert Hawk also had a high point count and a lot of elevation change. 

DaveL
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 9:58:49 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 12:15:00 PM

So I''ve noticed that the ponds that are not reflecting are definitely the lowest in elevation compared to the other ponds. So I''m wondering if you put a water texture out of sight and drop it way down, say 100 feet, if the other ponds will reflect since they are no longer lowest in elevation. Same with the creek, it''s on the lower (in elevation) part of the plot, and it doesn''t reflect.

Quietly - there is nothing around my pond at this point, other than rocks for about a 50 ft stretch along the edge. So maybe if I start to add trees I''ll get some reflections? I have tried picking up the pond, making it larger/smaller, reflattening, etc. I don’t have much room to work with, as the pond closely borders 2 fairways and 2 greens. So, when I reflatten, big creases appear which take a long time to smooth since there is a tight window between the waters edge and the fairways/greens. Sometimes, it is impossible to smooth without other creases appearing. So it ends up being a huge time investment, so far with no return. Unless there is an easier way to flatten without causing huge creases that are very difficult to smooth out? I''m not the most experienced using the CA, so maybe there is a trick I am missing.  

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 12:49:35 PM | IP Logged

Flatten a wider area before you smooth. If there is a crease, raise the area .1 or .5 feet before you smooth. Typically works well. 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 2:34:51 PM | IP Logged

Update, none of my ideas worked. I may just leave it and release the course. 

Quietly
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:06:04 PM | IP Logged

just to muddy the waters further, I'm currently messing around with a little par 3 course. The image below is from the 3rd hole looking back to 2nd green. The main pond on 3 is reflective (foreground and below) yet the higher pond on 2 is non reflective. But when you play 2, the 2 pond is reflective but 3's pond is also reflective.

If there was ever a time for the shoulder shrug emoji, this would be it 

File Attachment
Zip File - JPG File - Click Here to Download File - 82.0 KB

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:11:50 PM | IP Logged

I got mine to work.

Deleted the shape.
Flattened along contour.
Smoothed the entire area.
Drew a new pond and dropped.
Created a shape around the pond.
Flattened that shape.
Smoothed, without touching water.
Did NOT optimize pond.
Optimized surrounding area. 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:12:49 PM | IP Logged

DFL, any luck? 

Quietly
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 3:04:59 PM | IP Logged

One of the ponds in my example had a big elevation drop off as part of making a waterfall. I changed that pond to just being flat on top and a couple seperate lower ponds. Now all ponds reflect, although in keeping with the theme of confusion, the pic below shows that the cls waterfall object reflects in the lower pond but not the middle pond, but the trees/landscape reflect in all 3. Close enough for me though.

Also, though, while tinkering I managed to do something I didn't know was possible. In the pic, the lower and middle ponds were originally one pond. I actually got the lower part to reflect while the middle portion was dull and non-reflective. In other words, the same pond texture/land shape was both reflective and non-reflective at the same time. I would have thought a texture was either all reflective or all not.

Anyways, DFL300821, if you want, you could send the course file to me and I could tinker with it. Assuming you haven't found a fix already of course. 

File Attachment
Zip File - JPG File - Click Here to Download File - 97.3 KB

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 3:22:20 PM | IP Logged

That's a very good way to avoid the upward flowing waterfall that I have. 

DaveL
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:51:07 AM | IP Logged

Hey guys. So I got it to work. The only thing I did was change the light rough buffer texture which surrounded the water holes to a different texture and it started reflecting. It was the pond between holes 11 and 12 at my new course, Cherry Valley Club. Funny thing is, I added three small ponds right of 9, but once I did that, the pond between 11 and 12 stopped reflecting haha. So I turned those ponds into waste bunkers and the pond reflected again. Decided that was good enough.

I think it has to do with a relationship between other water on the course and their terrain. But just changing the buffer texture caused mine to reflect in the first place, so I don’t know.  

There are 2 active members online
DFELD2005, nort2,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Water Reflections - AGAIN - Page 1 Loaded in 0.250 seconds
Tuesday, April 23, 2024 @ 11:12:17 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.