Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (35)

Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 at 8:46:52 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 7:47:00 AM

Just uploaded today!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gbI_UpsUYuTr6zxnEiAIYn5RFztuniI26YU9rkFDTZY/edit?usp=sharing

The above Google Doc is the best way to read this post, but I copied the text and one of the screenshots here for anyone who does not want to use Google Docs.

Somewhat by accident, the 5th hole at Devinshire turned out to be one of my favorite golf holes that I ever designed. It''s a long, uphill par four that plays just under 500 yards. The hole becomes a nightmare in a headwind. It''s a straight away hole but the fairway is angled just a tad bit off center from the tee box. Three signature square bunkers split the fairway in two right where most tee shots will land.

The best way to attack the hole is to check the pin location. The key is to get a good angle into the green because you are going to have an uphill approach and will probably need to bounce the ball up there. The green is V-shaped, making the angle of approach key to the shot. If the pin is to the right, you will want your drive to be left of the fairway bunkers, and if the pin is to the left, you will want your tee shot to be to the right side of the bunkers. A right pin makes the drive easier and the approach shot more difficult while a left pin brings the bunkers into play much more off the tee but makes the shot into the green much more manageable.

So, in the illustrated instance, the pin happens to be on the right side, meaning you will want to aim at the left side of the bunkers off the tee and let the natural slope keep the ball in the fairway.

The green is a little bit tougher to putt on in the front as there is a small false front on the front left. There are some subtle undulations as you progress toward the back of the green and the overall slope is from back to front. There are three square bunkers that come into play, one on each side of the green, and one behind in the middle. These bunkers are the reason that the angle of approach is so important. Missing the green short or long from the correct angle will still give you a shot out of the fairway, but if you hit a bad shot from a bad angle, those bunkers and some very deep rough are there to make par much more difficult.

This hole pretty much designed itself and is one of the many strategic holes at Devinshire. The course, named after my brother, is built to reward both long, powerful hitters of the golf ball like him, but also strategic players that play both angles and elevations, as well as shape shots to their advantage, like me, because he can''t always have the upper hand. I hope you enjoy playing this course as much as I enjoyed designing it!

There are 1 active members online
Gunpower61,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - The 5th Hole at Devinshire - Page 1 Loaded in 0.156 seconds
Tuesday, March 19, 2024 @ 6:51:06 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.