Pin Locations
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

shorty2127
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 7:28:56 AM | IP Logged

What does it mean on some of the course designs "4 pins per hole version". How do you set-up different pin placements.  

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 7:41:31 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 7:42:00 AM

Hello Shorty,

The designer can choose how many pin locations he will add on the greens.
Some designers add 4 or more pin positions on the greens, some are labeled easy pin position, some are labeled difficult pin position.
In the game you can choose easy or difficult pin positions, so when the designers added 4 or more pin positions then you can play different flag positions, it is a bit random.
However some designers only add 1 pin position on each green, especially when the course is created for a Tour.
This way each player will play exactly the same flag position, and so they play with exact same conditions on the Tour. 

shorty2127
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 8:28:01 AM | IP Logged

Thanks for clarifying.

Just so I am clear, if it is listed, the pin positions are random and you can not select a specific set-up (except for easy or difficult). 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:08:57 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:10:00 AM

Yes exactly, you can only choose easy or difficult pins, and the game will pick them random when the course architect added multi flag positions.
For example when the course architect added 4 pin positions: then there will be 2 easy and 2 difficult pin positions on each green.
Some designers are using 8 pin positions on each green, then you will have 4 easy and 4 difficult pin positions.
When you play together with friends then you all will have the same pin position because you all started the same game.
When you finished the first game, and you set up a second game with same course and same conditions, then it is possibble you will have an other flag position. 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (54)

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 12:18:27 PM | IP Logged

'easy' and 'difficult' pins are just terms used by EASports in their Course Architect software

as each pin is added, the software assigns a reference number, starting at 0, then 1, 2,3 etc
even numbers are assigned to the 'easy' group, odd numbers to the 'difficult' group

how easy or difficult a pin is in gameplay depends on where they are placed, some designers use random placements, some use a mix of difficulty (ie the 1st easy group - designated as 0 - could be 12 easier placements and 6 more difficult ones, the 1st difficult group - the 1's - could be 12 more difficult vs 6 easier)

CGX used 2 pins per hole, usually based on the real Tournament pin sheets which are available, so that everyone played the same holes, hence everyone was on the same playing field except for wind direction which is somewhat arbitrary when the game starts

the final releases typically just use the 2 original sets of pins, placed onto one course

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

edintampa4
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 1/29/1948 (76)

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 2:35:06 PM | IP Logged

"What does it mean on some of the course designs "4 pins per hole version"." I have never seen this designated. Could someone please point out where the "4 pins per hole version" statement would be.. tyvm ed 

edintampa4 Signature

FUN ONLY
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
16.0GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

shorty2127
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:24:37 PM | IP Logged

With the new CGX Colonial course the information on the course states "4 pin locations". 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (54)

Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 9:48:51 PM | IP Logged

the only reason i replied is because most times - there is no indication of how many pin settings are used by the designer

on the CGXTour, 2 courses were used - courseA and courseB - 1 'easy' and 1'difficult' pin per course so that players were all using the identical pin location for each of the 4 Rds

so, when releasing here at CDL, i combined the pin locations - 2 of each - so that players had some variability, otherwise would get a little boring playing the same pins each time

as stated - architect/designer comments are in the General Information tab of the course download

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

edintampa4
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:43:19 PM | IP Logged

thanx for the replies but I'm a bit confused.. '4 pin location' refers to the tees.. professional, back, middle, forward? and if I'm reading the replies correctly.. they refer to pins on the green location.. easy.. difficult, with options for multiple random sites?  

edintampa4 Signature

FUN ONLY
16.0GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

TeeOffTowers
General Member
England

B-Day: 4/22/1948 (75)

Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 3:09:00 PM | IP Logged

edited by: TeeOffTowerse on Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 3:09:00 PM spelling

OK,

"4 pin locations" has nothing to do with the tees. It refers to how many pins have been set on each green. When 4 pins have been placed, the CA numbers them in order starting at 0 and ending at 3. The CA defines the pin 0 and 2 as "easy" and pin 1 and 3 as "difficult". The CA cannot diferentiate a truly easy and difficult pin hence it is up to the designer to place the first pin "0" in an easy position. Likewise the designer should the second pin "1" in a more difficult position.

Hope this clarifies the confusion.

TeeOffTowers Signature

The way we are playing here you might want to throw the clubs in the lake. If you throw the clubs in the lake, you might miss the lake.

No course in the works: retired.

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 3:10:09 PM | IP Logged

Hiya Ed,

4 pins location, means there are 4 flag positions on the greens, so it has nothing to do with the Tees.
The course designer will decide where the exact positions of the flags are on the Green in the Course architect.
When he creates 4 pin ( flag ) positions, then there will be 2 easy and 2 difficult flag positions.
Now when you play that course then in TW08 you have option to choose: Pin placement
In TW08 In box Pin Placement you can only choose: Easy or difficult
For example you choose: Easy pin placemnt.
But there are 2 easy pin positions in that course ( 4 pins location = 2 easy + 2 difficult ).
So now the game will choose randomly one of both easy pin positions, you don t know which easy pin position you will get, it is random.

edintampa4
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 at 9:47:59 AM | IP Logged

edited by: edintampa4 on Monday, May 30, 2016 at 9:54:00 AM

Thank You all for that explanation. It makes it clear to me that I should stay away from ''designing''.. I would end up with a tee on Pebble Beach and pin out on the Monterey Peninsula.. thanx again.. ed 

edintampa4 Signature

FUN ONLY
16.0GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

TeeOffTowers
General Member
England

B-Day: 4/22/1948 (75)

Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 5:09:01 AM | IP Logged

edintampa4 said:
"Thank You all for that explanation. It makes it clear to me that I should stay away from ''designing''.. I would end up with a tee on Pebble Beach and pin out on the Monterey Peninsula.. thanx again.. ed"

Ed,

There is no restriction on course designing. Give it a try, there is plenty of guidance in the tutorials section and you can always PM me if you need further assist and tips. Do not be put off by the negative criticism out there and take heart from the positive.

Good luck.

ToT :D 

TeeOffTowers Signature

The way we are playing here you might want to throw the clubs in the lake. If you throw the clubs in the lake, you might miss the lake.

No course in the works: retired.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 10/30/1976 (47)

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2016 at 12:18:50 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, June 6, 2016 at 12:27:00 PM

Back in the 04 game, you could pick one of 4 pins, which was a cool feature. Now it is just easy or hard. I do 6 to 14 pins per hole depending on the green. Like to use at least 8. Here is the kicker it gets really hard to check and test pins cause every time you compile the course than restart a new game. The game goes back to the default pin, so you have to play your course a few times to see if the pins work. For me that doesn''t really work, cause after 1 round, I am already back in the CA changing stuff. It can really hurt you when you do bad pins, many times this is done and you don''t even know it.

I have no idea what other designer do, but if you only have 2 pins or 4 pins on a course it is pretty easy to get board playing the same pins every time. If you use 8 pins per green, you have 4 x 18 different locations.

Would like to see someone create a MOD were you can pick 1 of 4 pin set to play; like in the 04 game.

If you want to set up some kind of realistic 4 round tournament, you need to create two courses with only 2 pins on each green. That way every player plays the same pins.  

There are 1 active members online
Gerrylove1,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Pin Locations - Page 1 Loaded in 0.578 seconds
Thursday, March 28, 2024 @ 7:51:08 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.