Windows 10 & TW 2008
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 12:16:46 AM | IP Logged

Well, I've upgraded to Win 10 since it's release and it was very wonky as it can crashed anytime but still am being able to enjoy playing at least a hole before it crashes(normally after completing a hole) then around 2 months back, it failed to even load saying my video card is not supported(before I upgrade to Win 10.1511)and DirectX notice claiming not enough video memory to run the game.

So I guess it's end of the days for me to enjoy the game with my laptop, which is Lenovo E440 with nVidia GT 740M external graphics and Intel HD 4600 internal graphics. Updated to all the latest graphic drivers don't help as Win 10 will have blue screen of VIDEO_KNRL error(Microsoft still clueless here as the drivers provided by Windows Update) meaning I guess I'll just stop TW 2008.

However, my home PC running initially with Radeon card and now nVidia card have no such problems on Win 10. So am wondering what is the real cause of this.

My 2 cents worth on this subject is "remain" with Win 7 to play this, I can't go back so no more TW 2008 for me.

McAlfie 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 11:37:35 AM | IP Logged

Several people are using Win10, for most people it works.
Not sure it will help you, but in help below you will find also some help about the error message Direct X not enough memory.

For all users,Follow steps below:
On desktop you should have TW08 program icon.
This is how you can get the TW08 icon on your desktop:
Go to the bin folder in TW08, see path below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\bin

Now inside the bin folder right click the TW08.exe icon, and in list choose: Copy to...and choose: Desktop
Now you will have the Tw08 icon on your desktop.
Now you will have to run TW08 in compatibility mode, see help below.

Automatically Change Compatibility Mode Settings for App in Program Compatibility Troubleshooter:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click on TW08 icon on desktop, and click/tap on: Troubleshoot compatibility
Click/tap: Continue
Then click second option: Continue troubleshoot program
Now choose option on top: Try recommended settings
And click: Test program
Now TW08 should start, when it started close TW08 again
Now click: Next......and choose the option on top: Save the settings for this program
After that TW08 should work.
Important note: When you do the compatibility thing, it is possible your system will say it will not work in compatibility mode or TW08 will not start, but just finish the steps above and restart your PC and it should work !!!!

You can try this when you have message: Direct X is reporting there is not enough memory:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 2 methods, you have to choose 1 method.

Method1: ( by JoSummer )
--------
You can get around this problem by limiting the system RAM. To do so ..

1. press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type msconfig, and click/tap on OK.

2. under the Boot tab in System Configuration, click on the Advanced options button

3. check the Maximum memory box and set the value to 4095, hit ok and reboot the system when asked.

You shouldn''''''''t have any disadvantages by doing so, because there''''''''s only a few applications or games that are actually addressing (benefit from) more than 4GB system RAM.

Method 2: ( by CutesyButton )
---------
I do have another workaround however, where you don''''t have to restrict RAM so I''''l put it here as another option.

Step One:-
Go to http://dege.freeweb.hu/ and download the latest version of DG Voodoo.

Step Two:-

Extract the DGVoodoo Setup program and DDraw.dll and D3Dlmm.dll files into the bin directory of your Tiger Woods 08 install.

Step Three:-

Run the DgVoodoo setup program.

Step Four:-

Head to the directX tab and uncheck "Disable and passthru to real DirectX".

Step Five:-

In the VRAM drop box, type a reasonable value like 520000 KB (note the space between the number and KB) - while it is a drop down box with 3 values, it accepts typed ones as well.

Note- The resolution changes didn''''t work for me here, so I had to use the universal widescreen program (from widescreengaming) and the Tiger 2004 (Custom Menu) res patch to get 1920x1080.

Step Six:-

Run the game, and hey presto. Can confirm this works for Tiger 07 as well.

My Setup:- FX8350/Radeon HD7950 3GB/16GB Memory

When you are using TWCaddie08 to install courses:
------------------------------------------------
Right click TWCaddie08 icon....choose properties....on top click: Shortcut......and then on bottom click: Advanced
And check the Run as administrator box, and click: OK

Option: When you don t have the icon on your desktop, you can also go to: C:\Program Files\CourseDownloads.com\TW Caddie 08 - Vista 64
And you can do the administrator thing on the TWCaddie08 icon you will find there.  

axe360
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 3/26/1960 (64)

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 11:38:24 AM | IP Logged

http://www.perfectparallel.com/index :) 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 10:21:58 PM | IP Logged

Thanks to all!

I've tried compatible mode is a no go. Will try other suggestions later when I have the time, really hope that is works as am stuck with Freecell at the moment and that makes me very unhappy! :(

McAlfie 

Parman371
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/20/1949 (74)

Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 6:26:23 PM | IP Logged

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and d had the video card and memory error.
Upon reading Methods: Used Method 1 (by Jo Summer)
The setting for Memory was set as 0 changed to 4095. Restarted app and all was good to go. 

JoSummer
General Member
No User Image
Germany

B-Day: 8/12/1974 (49)

Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 1:35:52 AM | IP Logged

edited by: JoSummer on Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 4:20:00 PM

Parman, CutesyButtons method is the better choice. Just copy the attached wrapper dll (DDraw.dll) into the \bin folder of the game and you can lift the system ram restriction. 

File Attachment
Zip File - zip File - Click Here to Download File - 70.2 KB

JoSummer Signature

Golf-4Fun Tour

uphill50
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 4:38:47 PM | IP Logged

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Game works fine, but I lost all my downloaded courses. Only the original game courses are listed. Any ideas? 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 at 6:17:31 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:53:00 AM

Hiya Uphill,

You will find some help on this link:

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=10362&forum=32

( Note: I also have send you message with some help )

Also be sure to run TWCaddie08 as administrator:
Right click TWCaddie08 icon....choose properties....on top click: Shortcut......and then on bottom click: Advanced
And check the Run as administrator box, and click: OK

Option: When you don t have the icon on your desktop, you can also go to: C:\Program Files\CourseDownloads.com\TW Caddie 08 - Vista 64
And you can do the administrator thing on the TWCaddie08 icon you will find there.  

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 1:49:26 AM | IP Logged

Well. Just managed to get it to work again(for now after a long while), compatibility mode under Win 7 and using internal Intel graphics instead of nVidia's as the game just hangs after showing the score card and no other ways described here can get to work(think it's more of a Win 10 problem).

All in all am happy to play the game again(6 months now?) even though lagging at times but will keep trouble shooting to improvise my own experience.

Thanks all for guidance.

Regards

McAlfie 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 5:29:03 AM | IP Logged

edited by: bangus on Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 5:44:00 AM

mcalfie said:
"even though lagging at times"

I have a 5 year old laptop and the game runs smooth as silk. Maybe a PC upgrade is needed? EDIT: Just saw your PC specs, obviously not the issue. 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 10:38:47 PM | IP Logged

edited by: mcalfie on Friday, March 11, 2016 at 3:07:00 AM More information

My older 2011 Samsung RV411 also had no problem but it''s Win 7, took me 6 months to figure out why wouldn''t install/upgrade to Win 10.(Hardware driver conflict and M$ have no idea about it even though they offered the upgrade and Samsung doesn''''''''t release any more drivers!)

Regards,

McAlfie

EDIT: N.B. On the Lenovo E440, only 800 x 600 and nothing else! Changed to 1024 x 768 but still running at 8 x 6 so have no idea what else to do... 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 at 6:48:59 AM | IP Logged

mcalfie said:
"it''s Win 7, took me 6 months to figure out why wouldn''t install/upgrade to Win 10."

I upgraded to Windows 10 and my PC ran horribly after that, plus I lost several factory-installed programs that stopped running altogether. Downgraded back to 7 and have no problems now, I will not be going back to 10. 

saleen
General Member
Canada

Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 2:48:58 PM | IP Logged

Hi Pat, Very helpful. Thanks

Just upgraded to Windows 10 on a new rig and didn't want to limit ram. The DG Voodoo setup works great!!! 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 10:12:10 PM | IP Logged

Well... Well... Well...

It stopped working yesterday on my E440 with the same messages. Video card and RAM. Ran out of luck again I guess.

Am in the midst of installing a new Hard Drive though I know it will take time as I need the "new" computer to be exactly the same as the current one, then shall see if it works on the new drive.

*disappointed*

Regards,

McAlfie 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 5:32:56 AM | IP Logged

edited by: bangus on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 5:40:00 AM

I had video issues (framerate mostly) with my nvidia card when playing games, so I went into control panel settings, switched the physx config tab from auto-detect to nvidia card. Fixed the issue completely. Maybe try that? 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 9:32:49 PM | IP Logged

thanks for your suggestion!

when first upgraded to Win 10 all fine then it stopped working!
was figuring out what went wrong then i decided to switch to internal graphics card(intel 4600) and it worked until 2 days back.

Had already done what you suggested but still no go...

If only have more time at home then I can play it there more frequently! ;p

Regards,

McAlfie 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 at 12:23:33 AM | IP Logged

edited by: mcalfie on Friday, April 1, 2016 at 9:45:00 AM Added further comments

Ah! Found the problem! Windows Defender flagged DDRaw.dll as a trojan so I removed it and it stopped working. Just added it back and it works again.

Regards,

McAlfie

EDITED: Still have to use Intel HD 4600 Display as nVidia will just hang after each hole despite following bangus'' instruction. But am happy just be able to play! :D 

AlexP
General Member
No User Image
England

B-Day: 2/23/1983 (41)

Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 12:43:11 PM | IP Logged

Guys thanks for all the posts about getting TW 08 to work in Win 10.

I've just built a new PC so this was invaluable - particularly the DDraw wrapper as it was not going to work without that...

I too am limited on resolutions - I think I used to get 1600x1200 in Win 7 which wasn't ideal, but I'm stuck with only 1024 and 800 offered now it would seem. Is there a way to gain any high resolutions? 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 8:21:45 AM | IP Logged

You're lucky! I'm stuck on 800 x 600(Intel HD4600) on my E440 which initially was 1024 x 768(nVidia external card in Win 10 after upgrade).

Regards

McAlfie 

mcalfie
General Member
No User Image
Malaysia

Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:58:16 PM | IP Logged

edited by: mcalfie on Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 10:16:00 PM Additional information added.

"ALL''S WELL THAT ENDS WELL"

Sorry for shouting but I have some free time just a moment ago and tried Method 2 suggested by Pat, lo and behold, started the game in FULL screen(On integrated graphics, nVidia still freeze the computer while displaying the score card). Finally!

So thanks to all for a great helping hand.

Regards,

McAlfie 

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
southside,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Windows 10 & TW 2008 - Page 1 Loaded in 0.597 seconds
Friday, March 29, 2024 @ 4:08:50 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.