Problem re-installing courses
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

scully
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 6:35:26 PM | IP Logged

I have been attempting to re-install custom courses after my files became corrupted and I had to dump them all and re-install the game and TWCaddie08. I have been downloading courses (the Zip files) into a file on my desktop then using the Caddie to install to
C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses & C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Libaries.

When I check the files, the courses and libaries are in their proper folders. They also appear as installed in TWCaddie08.

However when I attempt to initiate play in TW08 the Course is not there. There is a message that states "Couldn't open course text file. Please make sure the course disc is inserted properly' ????? What the heck does that mean.

HELP..........PLEASE, I've been working on this for three days with Pat's help and I still cant crack it.

PS The courses that came with TW08 work fine.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer me, I'm going crazy trying to figure this thing out.

SCULLY

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 9:33:06 PM | IP Logged

usually all that error message means is the txt file didn't get installed, so there is nothing there to read and display

course should be there

are the logos there? or blank logo areas?
click one and see

open one of the zip files
is it just the tcr file, or are the flag, logo, text, and splash files also in the zip

if it is only the course file (tcr), then that is all that is installed

Quote:
"using the Caddie to install to
C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses & C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Libaries"

so this is XP operating system ?

if W7 or W8
should be C:\Program Files (x86)\EA SPORTS\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses
(assumng you installed the game to the default location)

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:29:52 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:33:00 AM

Yes it looks your are using XP ?
Also be sure to use the correct TWCaddie08 version, when you are usin XP then you need to use this version: TWCaddie V1.5
The message "Couldn''t open course text file, usually means the course is not installed straight from the zipfile.

When you install the custom courses, you have to install them straight from the downloaded zipfile.
(open TWcaddie08.....locate and dubble click the zipfile, and all files will be installed )
When you unzip the downloaded coursefile first, the logo + text + flag will not be installed.

Some detailed help here:

When you installed TWCaddie08, it is good idea to sync your libraries, this way Coursedownloads will know what libraries you already have installed:
Open TWCaddie08....on top go to: Options......Coursedownloads.com....Sync MyLibraries
Now add your coursedownloads password and username.....and hit: Start

How to install Courses:
1.The easiest way it to use the create myzip feature:
When you found a course to download: Just click on Create myzip.... and it will start to create your zipfile
After that choose open.....and TWCaddie08 will install all required libraries and courses in TW08 game.
Another option is to save the myzip file on your pc.
After that dubble click the saved myzip file on you PC, and TWCaddie08 will install all required libraries and courses in TW08 game.

2. Another way is to download the course and all required libraries separate:
Go to the course that you want to download.....on right side you will see a list of required libraries.
The libraries with a red X are libraries you didn t download before. Click one a library (librarytext) with a red X, and download it to a location on your PC, for example download it to a folder on your desktop. Do the same for allother libraries that are marked with red X.
After that on your desktop open TWCaddie08....and choose: Install
On next popup screen you will have to browse to the downloaded libraries zipfiles. When you found one dubble click it and TWCaddie08 will install it in
TW08. Do this with all libraries you downloaded separate.

After that on the coursedownloads page, left side you will see the course download link: Coursedownloads.net
Dubble click it, and download the coursefile to your pc, and also install it with TWCAddie08, same way as you installed the libraries

scully
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:30:41 AM | IP Logged

I am using the correct version of TW08Caddie08

I am downloading the Zip Files to a file on my desktop I call TW08 Downloads. From there I use the TW08Caddie to install them into C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses and C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Libraries.

JB when I open TW08 to play there as you thought no logo to click on, jsut a blank space where the course logo should be.

When opening a course in C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses the following files and folders are there.

1. Folder named cls
2. TCR course file
3. Text Document
4. Flags
5. Logo
6. Splash

Is there any other files that should be there? Is the route I am using to install correct? 

scully
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:35:39 AM | IP Logged

JB in re-reading your post I see that there should be a txt file as well. There isnt. Why would that file be missing if I am downloading the courses correctly? 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 11:21:31 AM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 11:25:00 AM

sorry

txt = text file
so anything called course.txt or filename.txt etc
as long as there is a text file (ie one that ends with .txt), the installer should see it and install it, and you should see whatever text the designer provided

for pat and i questions - can you confirm it is XP you use?
your file/folder locations indicate that, but if you use W7 or W8, the file/folder locations are slightly different

it sure looks like all the correct, required files are in your course folder

can you right click/open on a course.zip file in your downloads folder - are those same files there too ?

and a missing text file (no words in the usual text area) shouldn''t stop the course from loading
- you just won''t know which one it is
- so just click on one and start a game
- that will confirm the course is installed ok, just leaving the problem of why there is no logo or text visible

are you using ''run as admin'' for caddie ?

re Pat''s point 2
you can manually add the locations of the missing pieces using the properties
see what is missing (a red X), then click on it and navigate to the location where the file should be
----> C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses

but better to find which step is missing or incorrect, sure a whole lot easier to just one click and install 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

scully
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 1:40:56 PM | IP Logged

I am running XP.

I made one change that seems to have done the trick,at least for the moment. Trial by error and all the great experience and knowledge provided by the both of you.

In TWCaddie08, I on a hunch, changed the Default Course Directory path back to the original setting of C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08. I had changed it to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\TW08 Downloads. It seemed prudent because that was where the course files were being downloaded to.

I changed my settings on the options menu of TWCaddie08 as Pat suggested to Coursedownloads.com....Sync MyLibraries. That made downloadng the courses a pleasure.
All files were in the correct places. Great, except for one issue.

I turned on TW08 and the file was there, I couldnt believe my eyes. However when I clicked on the course to begin play I was greeted with a message. "Cannot open course there are libraies missing'.Please check your installation disc." Which ones?

When I downloaded the course using Sync MyLibraries it did not tell me there were missing libraries. I tried again with the same result.

I turned off Sync MyLibraries, and installed the hard way following another suggetion the the wonderful wizard of ours (Pat) made. See below

Another way is to download the course and all required libraries separate:
Go to the course that you want to download.....on right side you will see a list of required libraries.

The libraries with a red X are libraries you didn t download before. Click one a library (librarytext) with a red X, and download it to a location on your PC, for example download it to a folder on your desktop. Do the same for allother libraries that are marked with red X.

After that on your desktop open TWCaddie08....and choose: Install
On next popup screen you will have to browse to the downloaded libraries zipfiles. When you found one dubble click it and TWCaddie08 will install it in
TW08. Do this with all libraries you downloaded separate.

After that on the coursedownloads page, left side you will see the course download link: Coursedownloads.net
Dubble click it, and download the coursefile to your pc, and also install it with TWCAddie08, same way as you installed the libraries.

The long way home for sure, but the road got me there, showing me the missing libraries that now made the course on TW08 operable.

Thank you guys for getting me back on track. I will attempt another course and use the
Sync MyLibraries option. Will keep you all informed. It took me a total of 39 hours to reach this point and I am now too tired to even play a game....lol

Speechless and Extreemeley greatful

Ray 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 1:58:20 AM | IP Logged

Good news you got it working Ray.
After new install of TW08 don t forget to do the confidence folder fix:

There is a bug in TW08. There is a fix called the Confidence Folder fix.

When you played some courses you will see the loading times between holes are increasing, the game will become slower and slower.
Do next steps to solve the problem:

1) On desktop you will see the folder My Documents. Open this folder.
( when you are using Vista or Win7 or win8: on desktop look for folder: User (or username).....inside you will find: Documents )
2) Inside look for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008. Open this folder and then open the folder Career
3) Inside Career open the folder Players. Inside this folder, look for your playersname folder and open it.
4) Open the folder Confidence.
5) Inside you will find these files: Hole Type.tcn and Shot Type.tcn. delete both files.
6) Important step here! Restart the TW08 game and play 1 hole on any stock course, then close TW08 game.
7) Go back to same Confidence folder and you will see both files are regenerated: but now they are very small in size. Now right click the Hole Type.tcn file and choose Properties. Check the box next to Read Only and click OK. Now do the same thing for the Shot Type.tcn file.  

There are 2 active members online
danec54, raylloyd7,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Problem re-installing courses - Page 1 Loaded in 0.203 seconds
Tuesday, April 23, 2024 @ 3:02:43 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.