Eliminating Stuttery Graphics?
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 12:49:35 AM | IP Logged

I know about the custom resolution program and the like, but what I'm running into is TW still giving me stuttery/shuddering gameplay. I recently purchased a 2 GB NVIDIA card and have 4 gigs of memory (soon to upgrade to 8) which should be plenty to max everything out. Is it that I need to play on screen size supported by my monitor? Is it a matter of custom courses struggling sometimes on higher settings? Maybe the cards drivers are too new and this happens to be one of those games that just does better with older drivers?

Looking for some helpful answers.... please don't just tell me what you have and you're having no problems. That doesn't really tell anyone anything. Thanks in advance. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 6:36:16 AM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 6:38:00 AM

Just suggesting the Player Confidence folder edit fix may help ?

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9667&forum=11

1) On desktop you will see the folder My Documents. Open this folder.
( when you are using Vista or Win7 or Win8: on desktop look for folder: User (or username).....inside you will find: Documents )
2) Inside My documents look for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008. Open this folder and then open the folder Career
3) Inside Career open the folder Players. Inside this folder, look for your playersname folder and open it.
4) Open the folder Confidence.
5) Inside you will find these files: Hole Type.tcn and Shot Type.tcn. delete both files.
6) Important step here! Restart the TW08 game and play 1 hole on any stock course, then close TW08 game.
7) Go back to same Confidence folder and you will see both files are regenerated: but now they are very small in size. Now right click the Hole Type.tcn file and choose Properties. Check the box next to Read Only and click OK. Now do the same thing for the Shot Type.tcn file.

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 7:29:37 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 7:40:00 AM

Yes the confidence folder fix is a fix all members should do.
Daflyboys you have a strong video card and 4gb memory, that should be more then enough to play TW08 game.
A few of the custom courses can give a bit of stuttery gameplay, but only on a few custom courses you should see a bit of stuttery gameplay on a strong system.
Maybe you upgraded an old PC, and your CPU is not very fast ?
What i mean is when you upgrade a system with a slow CPU, then you can t play on high performance even when you have loads of RAM memory and a strong video card.
Yes some video cards are performing better with older graphics drivers. But i am using a nvidia card 2GB on win8, and i am using one of the latest drivers and it works fine.

When you are using Vista or Win7, then you can try to run TW08 in compatibility mode: On desktop right click TW08 icon...choose properties....Compatibility...and check box: run this program in compatibility mode...and in list choose: XP

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:36:21 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gordo on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:36:00 AM

As far as my CPU, I have an AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor:

Number of Bits 64
Instruction Set MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, NX, VMX
Original Clock 2300 MHz
Original System Clock 200 MHz
Original Multiplier 11.5
CPU Clock 2311 MHz
System Clock 200.9 MHz
HT Link 803.7 MHz

So I don''t think it''s that. I''ve also been running it in compatibility mode for months now.

As far as the confidence fix, I''m pretty sure I''ve done that but will check again. I''ve seen the game''s behavior without it and that seems to help more of the slow load times between shots and holes. This is acting like I''m using an integrated vid card with low memory.

edintampa4
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 1/29/1948 (76)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:42:49 AM | IP Logged

Maybe try to turn off all the settings in GameFace/Graphics -> set to manual and turn all settings to off.  

edintampa4 Signature

FUN ONLY
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
16.0GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:48:51 AM | IP Logged

I'm not sure where you mean, Ed. There's "Game Face" which allows one to pick various appearances and equipment. And then there's "Graphics" which is under the Options. If you mean the latter, that sort of defeats the purpose of my request. I should have enough juice in this PC to run the game on max with little to no stuttering which I should clarify just seems like poor frame rate. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:08:45 AM | IP Logged

I am using a laptop so i don t think you will have this option on your desktop, but maybe worth to have a look:
On my laptop i have onboard graphics and an nvidia graphics card 2GB.
My system automatic detects what graphics ( onboard or nvidia graphics )will be used when i open a program.
When i first installed TW08 it didn t look that great, because it automatic selected the onboard graphics ( and not the nvidia card ).
In the nvidia control panel i had the option to switch to the nvidia graphics card, instead of using the onboard graphics.
When i right click my dektop, then i can open Nvidia control panel.
Note: In the Nvidia control panel you only will have the option to choose what graphics will be used when you have an onboard graphics and a nvidia graphics card.
When you don t have onboard graphics or when it is already disabled in the BIOS, then you won t have that option. 

edintampa4
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 1/29/1948 (76)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:36:31 AM | IP Logged

I should have been more explicit, sorry. Yes, the latter. What I should have said is to turn them all off and work backwards. Turn each on separately and see if one is causing the issue. I too have a strong system but not all the courses behave properly. This is only a starting point. gl ed 

edintampa4 Signature

FUN ONLY
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
16.0GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 8:25:58 PM | IP Logged

I think I missed it...but... what "OS" are you using. What I'v seen here and at other sites. Its usually getting TW08 to work on each new "OS" release. So it's not the horsepower, its the feed...lol 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 2:10:47 AM | IP Logged

No you did not miss it..... I forgot to list it: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1. I do have the compatibility items activated (running in XP SP3 mode; disabled desktop composition; run as administrator). 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 at 10:01:50 AM | IP Logged

daflyboys said:
"No you did not miss it..... I forgot to list it: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1. I do have the compatibility items activated (running in XP SP3 mode; disabled desktop composition; run as administrator)."

I'am running the game on Win 7 Pro with no problems,not even changed compatability,but from reading previous posts ?you have been making changes to your game eliminating features ect.
?can these changes be causing your problems.

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 at 12:37:29 PM | IP Logged

Well, one reason I learned for checking "disable desktop composition" is because the game was not entering properly earlier. But for the sake of argument I changed all of those back to default and even though I can enter and initiate the game properly, it doesn't change the fact that the more I try to optimize the appearance, the more the frame rate suffers. Plus, the built in anti-aliasing in this game is pretty awful. In order to get a more smoothed appearance, it seems I'm going to have to turn the video card assists on in that area and live with playing on fairly flat features. I'm going to chalk it up to more EA Sports poor development. 

rlslay
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 6/22/1960 (63)

Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 at 12:48:05 PM | IP Logged

Before when I have slow computer and a lower grade video card I would go into the task manager shut down as many things as I could and would get better frame rate. I also go into Microsoft config and I think (un check) many programs I never used, that was XP. Of course I don't know about doing with newer operating systems  

rlslay Signature

Working on .....

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 at 9:40:07 PM | IP Logged

I would think with the specs. I have I wouldn't have to do that. Granted I don't have a ultimate gaming machine, but with what the recommended specs are for this game, I would think I have plenty to play maxed out. I'm willing to bet it's some sort of vid drivers (too recent) that's the culprit. 

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 5:46:25 PM | IP Logged

edited by: dawg8 on Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 5:48:00 PM

try nVidia driver....314.07...make sure you get and install the 64 bit version for your 64 bit OS 

jmeier
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 8/1/1964 (59)

Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 10:49:21 PM | IP Logged

Shuddering or skipping / sticking game play and graphics is generally a CPU issue. I would suggest backing down on the settings. In it's day, your CPU was a good one, but it is over 7 years old. It was released about the time the game itself came out. It would be fine for stock courses and several customs but most of us designers are catering to an i series level CPU now when we design. The only thing video card will improve is the frame rate which will cause lag if too low.

To verify you can run perfmon and record key metrics and see what your cpu load is when playing as well as ram and disk performance. Also what is your Windows experience index? 

jmeier Signature

Tour Manager and Design Manager of the CGX Tour, the best place online for PGA Style tournament play on custom courses. Often imitated, never duplicated.

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:34:08 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gordo on Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:43:00 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I''ve taken in everything everyone has said here and just resigned to the fact that I have to compromise between decent graphics and smoother gameplay. I''m still tinkering around with a few things but I''m pretty close. (btw dawg, those graphics aren''t compatible with my card. I went to 3dguru''s site and there''s a nice repository there to choose from)

I am adding 4 more gigs of memory to max out at 8, so possibly I''ll see some performance boost.

Thanks again.

Addendum: jmeier, my index is 5.9 which is related to my hard drive speed. I had forgotten what was installed and now that I look my main drive where Tiger is installed runs at 5900 rpm and my secondary drive runs at 7200 rpm. So I''m going to re-install to the faster drive and see if I get a difference. 

jmeier
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 at 11:35:10 PM | IP Logged

edited by: jmeier on Monday, March 30, 2015 at 11:37:00 PM

One other element which you haven''t mentioned is the particular card you just upgraded to. Regarding your experience index. The individual items should exceed 5.9 if they are capable. It is true the total index is the number of the weakest link. But what are the scores for the individual elements? In Windows 7 the score will go to 7.9 for each component. I am still in search of the holy grail of all 7.9''s

SystemScore 7.6
MemoryScore 7.8
CpuScore 7.7
CPUSubAggScore 7.8
VideoEncodeScore7.6
GraphicsScore 7.8
Dx9SubScore 7.8
GamingScore 7.8
DiskScore 7.6

If the course you are referring to that is giving you problems is Forest Dunes 2015, forget it, you will not be able to run that course with all settings at their highest with anything but a very modern powerful pc. It is overloaded with vegetation. I get about 70 fps when playing that course @ max. Stock courses for me are in excess of 120 fps and 98% of customs are averaging 100fps. 

jmeier Signature

Tour Manager and Design Manager of the CGX Tour, the best place online for PGA Style tournament play on custom courses. Often imitated, never duplicated.

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 4:41:27 PM | IP Logged

Card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (2GB).

Processor: 6.9
Memory: 7.2
Graphics: 6.9
Gaming graphics: 6.9
Prim HDD: 5.9

Not sure where I find the other scores that you have. 

jmeier
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:57:09 PM | IP Logged

They come from Windows 8.1.Your specs will run 95% or more of the courses out there maxed out. But there will be a few that will tax even the best of systems. Based on those numbers I wouldn't do anything radical. The additional RAM though that you mentioned should make some improvement and never a foolish investment. If you are inclined a faster drive ill help.Not so much the spindle speed for faster technology. A 7200 RPM will still leave your disk score at 5.9. The only way to increase that is with a hybrid or pure SSD. I have SSD and it makes a load of difference. Bootup is less than 3 seconds, course loading from the time you click tee off until you are one the tee is less than 6 seconds. The other nice thing about an investment in SSD technology is it is portable to a new or upgraded platform so it will not be wasted down the road if you do decide on other hardware.  

jmeier Signature

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
danec54,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Eliminating Stuttery Graphics? - Page 1 Loaded in 0.768 seconds
Friday, March 29, 2024 @ 8:05:00 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.